Monte Mathews was working in advertising before he developed one of Saveur’s most beloved recipes.
Monte's Ham and Glaze
An incredibly tangy, orangey-brown sugar glaze makes this ham outstanding no matter the occasion
- 15 lb. smoked ham on the bone
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange marmalade
- 1 cup dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. whole cloves
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 300°. Trim tough outer skin and excess fat from ham. Place ham, meat side down, in a large roasting pan and score, making crosshatch incisions with a sharp knife. Roast for 2 hours.
- Step 2 Remove ham from oven and increase heat to 350°. For the glaze, combine orange marmalade, mustard, and brown sugar in a medium bowl. Stud ham with whole cloves (stick one clove at the intersection of each crosshatch), then brush with glaze and return to oven.
- Step 3 Cook ham another 1 1⁄2 hours, brushing with glaze at least 3 times. Transfer to a cutting board or platter and allow to rest for about 30 minutes. Carve and serve warm or at room temperature.