The allure of the Sheet Pan Dinner is on full display here.
The convenience factor isn’t the only thing this cooking technique has going for it. Food actually tastes better when you use a sheet pan. Flavor intensifies because you are using three cooking techniques: baking, roasting, and/or broiling as we did here. We first marinated our skin-on chicken parts and then used the same Lemon-Garlic marinade to toss the carrots, fennel, and onions before combining all the elements on the sheet pan. To keep their beautiful green color, we cooked the broccolini on the stovetop for just minutes. We added it to our glorious crispy-skinned chicken and caramelized vegetables for serving. And we got the whole dish on the table in under an hour.
The Secret Ingredient: These Wonderful Salad Dressings as a Marinade.
If you love lemon, this new collection of Salad Dressings called Lemonette is right up your alley. They’re four lemon-based flavors to choose from Mediterranean Herb, Italian Herb, Zesty Cumin, and Lemon-Garlic. Any one of them could be used in this recipe. All of them will give you a subtle taste difference. We went with Lemon Garlic because we’re fans of the classic combination of chicken, lemon, and garlic. But I couldn’t help but imagine how wonderful the Zesty Cumin would be, bringing a Middle Eastern touch to the ingredients. Marinating the chicken in any of them tenderizes and flavors it. One caveat: Never marinate chicken for over four hours. After that, the marinade actually makes the meat tougher. For our recipe, we marinated for just over an hour. Read more about Lemonette Gourmet Lemon Dressings in our sidebar: Product News You Can Use. It’s a fascinating story of how two California families brought their product to life. Here’s our recipe:
Garlicky Lemon Sheet Pan Chicken with Fennel, Onions, Carrots, and Broccolini
Garlic and Lemon flavors combine in this Crispy Chicken dish and its complement of root vegetables and Broccolini for color.
- 2 lbs Skin-On Chicken Legs and Thighs.
- 1-12oz bottle of Lemonettes’s Lemon Garlic Dressing
- 2 Fennel bulbs
- 8 carrots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 red onion
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- ½ lb. Broccolini (To cook separately)
- Step 1 About an hour before and up to four hours before preparing this dish, place the chicken in a sealable plastic bag, and pour 6 oz. of the Lemon Garlic Salad Dressing over it. Put it in the refrigerator.
- Step 2 While the chicken marinates, trim the fennel bulbs and cut them into 6 wedges. Do the same to the red onion. Trim the carrots but leave them whole. In a large mixing bowl, coat the carrots, onion, and fennel with the remaining 6 oz. of Lemon Garlic Salad Dressing.
- Step 3 With the rack in the center position, pre-heat the oven to 425F. Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Step 4 Place the chicken pieces on the sheet pan, spacing them evenly apart. Then place all the root vegetables artfully around the chicken pieces. Salt and Pepper the entire dish to taste. Put the sheet pan in the oven.
- Step 5 Bake until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the chicken thigh, about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Step 6 While the chicken is baking, prepare a pot of salted boiling water for the broccolini.
- Step 7 Remove the pan from the oven. Set the oven to Broil and place a rack under the broiler.
- Step 8 Add the broccolini to the pot of boiling water. Put the sheet pan under the broiler, keeping a close eye so that it doesn’t burn until the chicken skin is deeply crisp and brown. About 4 minutes. Take the broccolini out of the pot. To serve, use the sheet pan as a serving dish, adding the broccolini, or put the entire dish onto a serving platter. Serve at once.