Packing plenty of heat, Truff Hot Sauce makes one terrific bowl of wings.
When we received three Truff Hot Sauces for Christmas, we were impressed. The gift of our friends Monique and Curtis, we knew it would be special. Especially since what separates Truff from every other hot sauce is its trademark Truffle Flavor. And if anyone knows his way around a Truffle, it’s Curtis. We’ve seen him use Truffles with abandon. He’s not alone. From Truffle fries to Truffle Oil, from Truffle Sea Salt to Truffle Butter, the Truffle is prized. French Gastronome Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin called them ‘the diamond of the kitchen’. We couldn’t wait to see what Truff would bring to one of our favorite of all foods, the Chicken Wing.
These wings are both sweet and spicy. Perfect for the cool creaminess of the Dipping Sauce.
We love to bake wings in a hot oven. They crisp up beautifully helped by a simple dry batter of salt, cayenne pepper, and corn starch thereby making them gluten-free. Turning them over once or twice crisps them evenly. While the wings cook, the two sauces come to life. For the Truffalo sauce, we used a half bottle of Black Truff and combined it with vinegar, honey, and a dash of Worcestershire. Sweet heat! Then to cool down, we made a dipping sauce using a package of Garlic and Herb Boursin and a cup of Sour Cream. The finished dish is a winner on all counts.
Truff started off on Instagram. But it really took off when Oprah Winfrey put it on her “Favorite Things” list.
Truff founders Nick Guillen and Nick Ajluni’s launched @sauce on Instagram. Once they hit 10,000 followers, they decided to move into one of food’s fastest-growing categories: hot sauce. Believe it or not, in 2019 hot sauce was a $2.29 billion dollar market worldwide. And it’s growing annually by 6.5 percent. Guillen and Ajluni set out to find a void in the market. They decided to go luxe with their brand and their trademark truffle flavor did that. Its elegant packaging didn’t hurt. That’s why it’s $18.00 for 6 ounces. It also didn’t hurt that in O, the Oprah Magazine, Oprah calls it ‘sublime’ and recommends putting it ‘on everything’. Oprah’s not alone. Truff Hot Sauce is the #1 Best Seller in both Amazon’s Hot sauce and sauces category. Here’s the recipe. Some other wing favorites follow it.
Truffalo Wings with Honey Hot Sauce and Boursin Sour Cream Dipping Sauce
Both sweet and spicy, these baked Chicken Wings are the perfect companions to their Honey Hot Sauce and Cool and Creamy Boursin Sour Cream Dipping Sauce.
- To coat the wings
- 1 tbsp. Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1/3 cup Cornstarch
- For the Honey Hot Sauce
- ½ cup butter
- 1 ½ tbsp. White Vinegar
- ¼ tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 oz. Black Truff
- 3 tbsp. Honey
- For the Boursin Sour Cream Dipping Sauce
- 1 5.2 oz Garlic and Herb Boursin, at room temperature.
- 1 cup Sour Cream.
- For the Wings
- 2 lbs of Chicken Wings, wing tips removed
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 450F. Cover a sheet pan with aluminum foil to aid in the clean-up. Place a wire rack over the sheet pan. Spray with Non-Stick Cooking Spray.
- Step 2 In a large mixing bowl, combine Cayenne Pepper, Kosher Salt, and Cornstarch. Mix thoroughly. Dry the wings and add them to the bowl. Coat every surface and shake to remove excess.
- Step 3 Put the wings onto the rack. Put the rack in the oven for 45 minutes. Every 15 minutes, turn the chicken wings to ensure even cooking.
- Step 4 While the wings are in the oven, make the dipping sauces.
- Step 5 In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once it’s melted, add the vinegar, the Worcestershire Sauce, the Black Truff sauce, and the honey. Stir the ingredients until they are well blended. Lower the heat to low. When wings are ready, remove them from the oven and put them into a large bowl. Pour the Honey Hot Sauce over the wings. Sprinkle with chives (optional).
- Step 6 In another bowl, mix together the room temperature Boursin with the sour cream until combined completely.
- Step 7 When wings are ready, remove them from the oven and put them into a large bowl. Pour the Honey Hot Sauce over the wings. Sprinkle with chives (optional).
- Step 8 To serve, put the Boursin Sour Cream in individual ramekins, put the wings in the center of the table, and have at them.